Child Support Frequently Asked Questions - Video Answers

Attorney, Mary Hoftiezer Zogg proudly serves the Child Support, Divorce and Family Law legal needs of those in Orlando, Central Florida, and Montverde.

Call 321.209.1878 to schedule an confidential legal consultation regarding your Child Support, Divorce and Family Law matters.

Child support is determined in the State of Florida based on the relative net incomes of the parties and the amount of time that you spend with your child. The more money you make, the more money you would pay in child support. The more time you have, the more credit you would get against that support obligation.

The Department of Revenue can suspend your drivers license to encourage you to pay court ordered child support. When you are required to pay court ordered child support and you fail to make timely payments, your support obligation goes into arrears. The arrears is the number you owe in back child support. The Department of Revenue has many ways to make you pay. One of those is the suspension of your drivers license. If your drivers license has been suspended you will need to come current on your outstanding child support, plus pay fees to reinstate your drivers license. You could also file a motion and ask that the court reinstate your license. The court will want to know how you will pay child support that you owe. If you can't afford the court ordered child support, you may want to consider asking for a modification or a change in the amount due each month.

In Florida, there's no longer anything described as joint custody. Florida determines parental responsibility, which can be shared or sole, and time sharing. The more typical ideology of joint custody doesn't exist in Florida. It goes to parental responsibility and time share. Child support is a financial obligation to the child, which would always be owed to the child regardless of your custody situation.

Child support will be ordered according to the number of children you have and the relative net income of the parties. It takes into consideration both incomes, as well as gives you credit for certain expenses, including childcare expenses and health insurance premiums.

Child support is determined in Florida by the relative net incomes of the parents. The more money that you make, the more money you'll pay in child support. It also takes into consideration certain expenses for the children, including daycare and medical insurance premiums.

In Florida, child support is calculated based on the relative net income of the parties and credits are provided for time share, as well as some expenses for the child including day care and insurance premiums.

Child support can be changed in Florida by a petition for modification. Again, there has to be a substantial change of circumstance any time you're seeking modification. However, child support could be changed if it would amount to a difference of either $50 per month, if the Department of Revenue is involved, or $75 per month in your support obligation if they are not.

Childcare expenses in Florida are divided proportionately between parents based on their relative income. If the parents have substantially equal income, then they will substantially equally contribute to the childcare expenses. If one makes a lot more than the other, then they would pay proportionately more.

Child support in Florida is determined by the relative net incomes of the parents. It does not include step-parents. The financial obligation to the child inures from the parent to the child, and that benefit will come from there. They do not take into account household income.

The Department of Revenue can take your tax return to pay back child support. When you are required to pay court-ordered child support and you fail to make timely payments, your support obligation goes into arrears. The arrears is the number you owe in back child support. The Department of Revenue has many ways to make you pay. They can intercept your tax return. This means the IRS sends the Department of Revenue your tax return money so that the department can pay your child support arrears. Typically, you will not know about this until you don't get the money from the return. The good news is the money from your return will lower the amount of child support arrears. The bad news is that you don't get your tax return.

Some recent changes to the healthcare laws require everyone to have health insurance. Tax penalties may apply if you are uncovered. To avoid these penalties more parents are seeking state assistance in the form of Medicaid. When a parent applies for Medicaid benefits she agrees to assist the state, through the Department of Revenue, in collecting child support from the prospective parent, usually the father. Many parents do not know that this agreement is included in the request for benefits. If you have been providing financial support to your child that is not court ordered child support, it is possible that the parent, usually the mother, is doing only what she has to do to secure the benefits like health insurance for the child. You may wish to consider asking for time and rights to the child, and you really need to be sure that you are given credit for the financial support you've provided.

In Florida, your child support obligation will terminate either on the child's 18th birthday or upon graduation if they're going to be graduating before they turn 19. Thereafter, you have no financial obligation. One parent can agree to pay for expenses after the child reaches the age of majority, but they cannot be court ordered to do so.

Part of the child support calculation in Florida does take into account something called substantial time sharing. Substantial time sharing is anything over 20% with the child. It's determined by where the child lays his or her head at night. If you have more than approximately 75 days per year, it would have an impact on your support obligation. The theory is that if the children are with you, you're paying for their care and therefore should pay less in form of child support to the other parent.

Yes, support can be obtained for any child born out of wedlock. The child support is a benefit that inures to the child, and it's based on each parent's income. It doesn't whether or not you were married.

Child support, in most cases, cannot be retroactively modified in Florida, it typically goes back to the date of the filing of the petition for modification of child support. Child support vests on the day that it's due, so if it's on the first that it's due, by the second that obligation for the first has vested. There are certain limited circumstances in which it may be modifiable retroactively, if the basis is for a failure to exercise time share, and the support obligation provides a credit for time share if it's not being exercised.

Call Orlando and Central Florida Lawyer, Mary Hoftiezer Zogg at 321.209.1878 to discuss your Divorce and Family Law needs and goals.

Mary Hoftiezer Zogg has extensive experience in assisting Orlando, Winter Park, Maitland, Longwood, Central Florida and Montverde residents who require professional Child Support, Divorce and Family Law Attorney legal services.

Divorce, Family Law & Mediation Services

Mary Hoftiezer Zogg, ESQ.

Mary Hoftiezer Zogg, ESQ.

Attorney at Law

Mary Zogg, formerly Mary Hoftiezer has a multidisciplinary background which helps to provide a unique experience for her clients. She has an undergraduate degree in psychology and a Masters in Business Administration in addition to her law degree. This allows her to provide her clients with a full vision of the financial, emotional, and legal aspects of their cases.

Mary’s degree in psychology has provided her with the ability to listen and understand the emotional impact of a divorce or paternity action. She works to understand how you feel and takes these feelings into account when putting together a strategy as to how to resolve your case.

Read Mary Hoftiezer Zogg's Full Biography

Mary Zogg FaceBook Link Mary Zogg LinkedIn Link


Family Law Articles

Read our informative Divorce and Family Law articles to help gain a perspective on various issues and the type of professional representation that we provide each of our clients.

There are a wide array of topics that range from child related issues, court order modifications, to geographic relocation with a minor child.

We hope you find our articles both helpful and ensightful.


Video FAQs

Video Q&A

View Video answers to Divorce and Family Law Questions.

We are often asked many questions regarding various issues relating to Divorce and Family Law.

We have put together video answers to many of these questions.

We hope you find our videoss both helpful and ensightful.

Divorce and Family Law Attorney, Mary Hoftiezer Zogg Proudly Serves Central Florida

Serving the Child Support, Divorce and Family Law needs of those in Central Florida including Orange County Florida, including: Orlando, Maitland, Apopka, Winter Park, Alafaya, Bay Lake, Belle Isle, Bithlo, Christmas, Doctor Phillips, Eatonville, Edgewood, Fairway Shores, Goldenrod, Gotha, Hunter's Creek, Lake Buena Vista, Lockhart, Meadow Woods, Oakland, Ocoee, Orlovista, Pine Castle, Pine Hills, Southchase, South Apopka, Taft, Tangerine, Union Park, Wedgefield, Williamsburg, Windermere, Winter Garden, Zellwood, Osceola County Florida, including: Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Campbell, Celebration, Champions Gate, Deer Park, Four Corners, Harmony, Intercession City, Kenansville, Narc oossee, Poinciana, Reunion, Yeehaw Junction, Lake County Florida, including: Montverde, Clermont, Altoona, Astatula, Astor, Eustis, Ferndale, Fruitland Park, Grand Island. Groveland, Howey In The Hills, Lady Lake, Leesburg, Mascotte, Minneola, Mount Dora, Okahumpka, Paisley, Sorrento, Tavares, Umatilla, Yalaha.

DISCLAIMER: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask the lawyer to send you free written information about their qualifications and experience. This website has been prepared for informational purposes only and not as legal advice. Neither the transmission, nor your receipt of information from this website creates an attorney-client relationship, which can only be formed in writing between you and the attorney you choose to represent you.

© Copyright 2022. Family Law Advocate, Mary Hoftiezer Zogg, formerly Mary Hoftiezer. All Rights Reserved

Sitemap | Image Credits